The Kano state house of assembly has suspended the probe of Muhammad Sanusi II, the emir of Kano.

This is coming about a week after the state public complaint and anti-corruption commission suspended its probe of the emir.

An investigation had been launched into the finances of the Kano emirate under Sanusi.

The monarch was alleged to have misappropriated N6bn of the emirate’s funds.

The probe was initiated in the heat of his criticism of the northern establishment who once described the north as the poorest region in the country – a statement his critics did not take well.

Kabiru Alhassan Rurum, speaker of the assembly, told the lawmakers on Monday that Abdullahi Ganduje, governor of the state, had written to the assembly, seeking the suspension of the probe.

He quoted Ganduje as saying prominent Nigerians like Acting President Yemi Osinbajo; Ibrahim Babangida, former military president; Abdulsalami Abubakar, former head of state; Sa’ad Abubakar, sultan of Sokoto, Aliko Dangote, billionaire businessman, among others had pleaded on behalf of the monarch.

Rurum said the governor added that a peace meeting held in Kaduna, and the emir “admitted all his mistakes and tendered an apology